RTI DDS Toolkit for LabVIEW is our plugin to the LabVIEWTM graphical programming environment from NI (formerly National Instruments). The RTI toolkit effectively allows LabVIEW to be used as a programming language binding for RTI Connext® (based on the DDS standard), a la C, C++, Simulink, etc. The RTI toolkit can be used to distribute data between LabVIEW applications (called "Virtual Instruments" or VIs) as well as between LabVIEW VIs and DDS applications written in other programming languages.
The toolkit is built on RTI Connext® Secure and includes support for DDS Security. It provides a mapping of the Data Distribution ServiceTM (DDS) Application Programming Interface (API) to LabVIEW subVIs (blocks in a LabVIEW block diagram). It also includes LabVIEW panels for configuration and administration. It does not include libraries for other programming languages, infrastructure services or RTI tools. These require a separate license to RTI Connext® Professional or Connext Secure. The toolkit is distributed as a binary on the LabVIEW Tools Network.
The toolkit is licensed under a LabVIEW-specific Non-Commercial License. Under this license:
- Users can develop and deploy non-commercial applications at no charge. Research and academic use will generally qualify as non-commercial.
- Users who don't qualify as non-commercial can evaluate the toolkit for 30 days.
- Users doing commercial development must have a commercial Connext Professional or Connext Secure license–that is, they count toward the overall developer count of the project.
The RTI DDS Toolkit for LabVIEW addresses requirements that no other LabVIEW connectivity mechanism supports. Thus it provides an off-the-shelf alternative to developing a custom connectivity solution, thereby avoiding the time and cost that would be required to develop, maintain and support a customer solution.
There are two main use cases for the RTI DDS Toolkit for LabVIEW, which are not mutually exclusive:
- Communication between LabVIEW VIs: Compared to LabVIEW’s shared variables, the RTI DDS Toolkit for LabVIEW provides lower latency, reliable data delivery, security, scalability and interoperability with non-LabVIEW applications.
- Communication between LabVIEW VIs and native (non-LabVIEW) applications, including existing DDS applications: Compared to LabVIEW web services, the RTI DDS Toolkit for LabVIEW provides much lower latency, more resilience and lower network utilization