What does it do?
RTI Connext Nano is a standard-compliant implementation of the OMG DDS-XRCE™ (or "DDS for Extremely Resource Constrained Environments").
The DDS-XRCE protocol allows small devices subject to extreme resource constraints (in terms of memory, power, network bandwidth and/or connectivity) to join a DDS™ publish-subscribe domain and transparently exchange information with existing DDS systems.
DDS-XRCE is the protocol used by micro ROS to extend ROS2 to micro controllers.
Features and Benefits
- Participate in DDS communications from resource constrained devices, including field-deployed sensors that undergo power-saving sleep cycles and communicate over low-bandwidth networks.
- Full access to all DDS capabilities: create and configure any DDS Entity, read and write data on any Topic using any DDS data-type and any size of data.
- Configure and leverage all DDS QoS Policies and advanced features such as content filtered Topics and query/selection based data-access (QueryConditions).
- Read data that was published before the application joined the system (supported by DDS DURABILITY QoS policy). Read data that was published while the application was undergoing a sleep cycle (cached by agent, controlled by DDS HISTORY QoS policy) Communicate over any transport with a Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) of at least 24 bytes. Use the bundled TCP/UDP sockets and Serial Transports, or build a custom one.
- Use the included abstraction layer to port the library to other platforms. Minimal "portability API" to wrap system- and network-level functionality. No dynamic memory allocation required.
RTI Labs Project Type: Product Prototype
Maturity level: Experimental Feature
Support: RTI-Community forum, backed by CTO Office Engineers
- Expand the types of systems that can use Connext DDS to microcontrollers and field-deployed devices.
- Address use cases in important markets including Robotics, Medical Devices, Automotive, Smart City.
- Opening a ticket in the issues section of the GitHub repositories nano-client and nano-agent.
- Creating RTI Community Forum threads.
Product Version Information: N/A (source release). Compatible with Connext 6.0.1 and later.
Platform Support: Source release with CMake-based build system. The client library has been built on various embedded platforms, including Linux, macOS, Windows, and the Arduino framework. The agent should be buildable and deployable on any platform supported by RTI Connext DDS.
There are additional requirements to build the documentation (Python, Sphinx).
Product compatibility: Connext 6.0.1 or later