Extending the data type to 3D
In this module we will set up a Unity project with RTI Connext. At the end of this module your project will be configured and ready for further Unity and Connext development.
Step 1: Installation of Unity and RTI Connext
The first step is to install Unity, RTI Connext, and an IDE (in this case, Visual Studio).
You will also need an RTI Connext license to run your application. Instruction on licensing of RTI Connext can be found here.
For this project we have an XML file that contains all of the DDS configuration for the application. This XML file can be found here. This is also where you can find the final scene, prefabs and scripts used in this tutorial.
Once you have installed all the required applications and packages, you should set up your coding environment. Here are some recommended tools and configurations for Visual Studio.
Step 2: Creating the Project
After everything is installed and our tools are configured, we can start with our blank project.
- Go to Unity Hub and create a new project. Give it a name. We will be calling our project DDS Shape Demo.
- In the new project, change the layout to 2:3 and move the Project subpanel underneath the Hierarchy subpanel.
Step 3: Configure Your Project
At this point we need to configure the project by downloading the necessary libraries and placing them in the correct place.
- Create a folder under Assets called Scripts. In the new folder create a C# script called GameManager. Double-click on the new script to open Visual Studio.
- Once in Visual Studio, right-click on the Solution and choose Manage NuGet Packages for Solution.
- Install the most recent version of the RTI Connext C# API to the Assembly-CSharp project.
- Once the install is complete navigate to your <your project>/Packages and copy the DLLs located in each package folder to the Assets directory by dragging them to the Assets folder within the Unity environment. You also need to take the runtime DLLs from the Rti.ConnextDds package and copy them as well.
- Finally, place a copy of your RTI Connext license and the Shapes.xml file in your project folder.
Module 1 Demo
This video covers the steps for Module 1.