Suppliers and end users need a complete solution to address the complexity of future industrial automation systems. These systems require:
- Interoperability to allow devices and independent software applications from multiple suppliers to work together seamlessly
- Extensibility to incorporate future large or intelligent systems
- Performance and flexibility to handle challenging deployments and use cases
- Robustness to guarantee continuity of operation despite partial failures
- Integrity and fine-grained security to protect against cyber attacks
- Widespread support for an industry standard
The industry needs a clear, technically optimal, proven standards approach. This white paper proposes a new technical architecture to build this future. The design combines the best of the OPC Unified Architecture (OPC UA), Data Distribution Service (DDS), and Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN) standards. It discusses a new architecture using these combined standards that can connect the factory floor to the enterprise, sensors to cloud, and real-time devices to work cells.