RTI Delivers on Standards-Based Real-Time Networking Strategy with NDDS 4.0
Targets Broad Array of Data-Critical Applications. Includes Direct End-to-End Messaging, "Pluggable" Transports and Customizable QoS and Types.
SANTA CLARA, CA—August 29, 2005—Real-Time Innovations, Inc. (RTI), today announced the immediate availability of NDDS 4.0, its high performance implementation of the Object Management Group's (OMG's) Real-Time Data Distribution Service (DDS) standard.
NDDS 4.0 has already been running as a beta release at nearly 50 sites in many different mission-critical applications. The general-access release is now available for these sites, as well as for the hundreds of applications currently running NDDS 3.x in military/aerospace, transportation, finance, industrial automation and other industries.
"This release represents the fulfillment of a multi-year strategic plan," explained Stan Schneider, chief executive officer of Real-Time Innovations. "We leveraged our extensive experience in distributed systems to create an optimal, standards-based solution based on proven success. System architects can rely on our mature technology, our experience with hundreds of real-world systems and the security of an accepted OMG standard. Our intention is to provide the highest-performance, most versatile, most proven DDS product on the market."
New Architecture Features
In addition to the new DDS-compliant API, NDDS 4.0 features an advanced architecture that targets a broad array of high-performance, data-critical applications. New objectives and features in the architecture include:
- Flexibility: NDDS 4.0, based on RTI's broad-based customer experience, adapts seamlessly to a wide range of application demands.
- Pluggable transports support any media, from wireless to switched fabrics.
- Programmable parameters, Quality of Service (QoS) and custom types ease complex system integration.
- Performance: The NDDS 4.0 architecture optimizes performance.
- Direct end-to-end messaging eliminates context-switch delays and supports message prioritization.
- Pre-allocated memory prevents allocation and fragmentation delays.
- The endpoint design dramatically accelerates messaging since there are no shared threads or memory requiring locking.
- Reliability: NDDS 4.0 targets mission-critical nonstop applications.
- There is no server process to crash, preventing catastrophic middleware failure.
- Applications do not share address space through the middleware, so the OS process isolation fully protects all applications.
- Dedicated buffers immunize against corrupted shared memory.
Schneider stated, "As embedded and real-time systems become more distributed, they need to share information between many sources. For many data-critical applications, the ability to deliver the right data to the right place at the right time drives success."
The DDS standard defines high-performance, configurable publish-subscribe networking. It directly addresses the needs of data-critical applications. RTI was the lead author of DDS, and the standard is now building widespread acceptance in many industries. NDDS 4.0 is RTI's premier high-quality DDS implementation.
The RTI NDDS 4.0 Developer Package is immediately available. Packages include NDDS middleware, NDDS tools and one year of support. NDDS is available on many operating systems, including Microsoft Windows, Sun Solaris, Linux, LynxWorks LynxOS, Wind River VxWorks and Green Hills INTEGRITY.
Real-Time Innovations, Inc. (RTI, www.rti.com) the expert in real-time information networking, leads the industry with high performance standards-based software solutions for data-critical applications. Its products and consulting services provide the infrastructure for national railways, air traffic control, traffic monitoring, mission-critical combat systems, financial transaction processing and industrial automation. RTI's flagship product, NDDS, is middleware based on the Object Management Group's (OMG) Data Distribution Service (DDS). NDDS provides the essential foundation for real-time communication in a networked system and enables a new class of embedded to enterprise (e2E) applications. Companies such as Raytheon, Nikon, Omron, Harmonic, Applied Materials, Schneider Automation, Boeing, Lockheed Martin and the US Military rely on RTI technology for their real-time, data-centric, distributed applications. Headquartered in the heart of Silicon Valley since 1991, RTI is a privately held company.
# # #
RTI, Real-Time Innovations, RTI Data Distribution Service, Connext and 1RTI are registered trademarks or trademarks of Real-Time Innovations, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective companies.